Yesterday morning, I heard the news of what had happened at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando earlier that morning. I read the news and was shocked, then I waited.
And I didn’t have to wait long.
Soon the tweets and posts started appearing:
- “We need gun control now.”
- “No, we need to give everybody a gun.”
You know, the argument that happens every time there is a mass shooting in ‘Muhrica. This time, however, there was a third contingent, one saying “Ban all Muslims”, echoing Donald Trump.
As I see it, all three of these are stupid and naive.
- “We need gun control now.” – If some asshat wants to go shoot up a nightclub, he or she will find a way to get a hold of weapons to do it with.
- “No, we need to give everybody a gun.” – That’s good; then instead of one or two gun-wielding assclowns shooting randomly, there will be forty or fifty. What could go wrong?
- “Ban all Muslims” – Really? There are supposedly 11 million + illegal immigrants in ‘Muhrica that couldn’t be stopped. How will Muslims who want to get into this country for good or ill be stopped. And what about the ones who are already here, like this small-dicked fuckwad (who was born in New York)–are we going to Executive Order 9066 them (look it up)?
The type of posts that I saw precious few of? “102 people were shot. This is a horrific tragedy.” An incredible number of people immediately worked on trying to score points off of people who believe differently rather than expressing grief for the 49 dead and 53 injured.
I am embarrassed by the people that I share a “country” with.